Monday, June 30, 2008

My Contribution


I've been pondering how best to respond to the Peak Oil crisis (now that it has actually arrived!) in my own life. How to best cushion financial blows, and build resiliancy into our daily life.

I done a couple things, like reducing energy use ALOT (saves money right off the bat!), keeping up my canning skills, and cleaning with simple products like vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda...growing my own herbs and tomatos, and learning more technical stuff, like home maintenance and Norwegian embroidery.

But at other things...not so much. I've tried to drive less, but since both my parents live at least a 45 minute drive (in opposite directions!)..a teenage daughter who is extremely busy with a summer job and social activities..and my job as overall errand person for the family - I've completely failed at it.

In September, I may need to look for another job - but maybe then I can also work on getting on a bike for the near errands. It's a start!

5 comments:

Swinebread said...

Good Luck!

Arkonbey said...

We all do what we can; trying is good. Caring is good, too. You're doing fine.

As for us, we live rural, so I have to drive some places. I just plan my routes so I do loops and not back/forth. I also walk everywhere closer than two miles (unless I need to carry large things). We're lucky that the library and a general store are .25 miles away, and the grocery store and hardware store are on the way home from work.

I'd ride to work, but my commute is now 14 miles one-way. Fitness-wise, it's doable, but it's a total day-killer. I have started carpooling two days a week, though.

Swinebread said...

At least you don't have some crappy SUV

Noah Scales said...

Hello.

If you do start biking on short errands, I recommend a commuter bike with a fixed basket, chain guard, and fenders. Saddlebags are pain to move in and out, though if they detach easily you can use them for groceries. The basket will probably haul what you need for short errands, the fenders keep road grime from spinning off the wheels onto you and your stuff, and the chain guard helps keep your chain clean (the first thing that gets dirty on a bike that gets regular use). I'm not sure how many gears they add to commuter bikes, but if I were buying one for myself, I'd take a serious look at bikes offered with fewer gears (3,5,10), and even single speeds, provided they let me coast when I stop pedaling.

If you or anyone in your family wants to haul, check out bike trailers from http://www.bikesatwork.com. I have an older model small-size trailer from them, rated to haul any weight up to 300 pounds.

Your approach to peak oil seems practical: simple cleaning products is one I'm on right now, and I'd like to learn to sew, so I can do simple garment repair. Before that, I'm committed to learning knots of all kinds from a great DVD "Why Knot?". Eventually I'd like to learn basket-weaving skills and practice making heavy cloth like canvas, at least a few times, to appreciate how it can be done. After all, canvas is an essential building material for yurts, something I might have to live in, someday.

Good luck, Hypatia.

Hypatia said...

Thank you for the bike info Noah, I really appreciate it!

Arkonbey-We all have to make compromises...and I'm hoping I won't have to go back to work..it'll be easier to implement the bike thing if I don't.

Swiney-Thanks bra!