Saturday, November 8, 2008

Spiders...and the Day of the Dead

Well, I haven't posted in awhile...actually have been very busy on the home front. It's not that I haven't noticed what a wonderful fall we've been having here the the Pacific Northwest...it's just I've had a little bit of "ennui" for some time. I ended up watching Serenity only about a million times, along with any other movie Sean Maher has ever made-(spoiler alert DO NOT watch the end of Living Til the End!) and just generally just having the blahs...Then I realized I was similarly obsessed with Hugh Jackman and The Fountain last year...just about this same time, (yes, we bought the movie AND the sound track...) Then it hit me...the thinning of the veil upon us, and I will remember our stillborn son, and all the other friends and family who went before, again.

I also started re-thinking my whole volunteer schedule..and I believe I'll be pulling back and spending some time on family and "wintering in" (fancy wording for working home projects, which sounds more poetic I guess); and may be seriously looking for a job in January. (In case you haven't heard, the economy's going in the pooper...and hubby's job may go the way of the dinosaurs...we'll see how Wall Street handles the 700 billion the taxpayers have SO nicely donated to their suffering cause...cynical snicker).

I digress! This post is actually about the exceptional autumn we've had...cold nights and clear sunny days. The perfect weather to produce color splendors worthy of an East Coast fall foliage tour. It's been so spectacular that when our usual rainy, cloudy weather appeared a couple days ago, I was a bit disappointed our Indian Summer had finally come to an end.


This picture is from my ancestral homeland, Champoeg. It's a nice time to be there now as the Park has very few visitors. It's got lovely views of the Willamette, and great biking/walking paths.

I've also observed (a la Waverly Fizgerald's School of the Seasons) the plethora of spiders during this season. They've been all around outside, in every nook and cranny in the garden...and some of them managed to sneak inside the house too! We have a very fat pregnant one just outide the kitchen window. Without realizing it, Waverly found out this natural process is called phenology-the science of tracking seasonal changes. She's got lots of links to some very interesting sites here ,(you'll have to scroll down to her phenology article first).

Until just yesterday, (several days WELL after All Soul's Day), I still had all the Day of the Dead decorations up, (I find I prefer the Mexican take on this holiday...); I had wanted to do something more elaborate for a family ritual (my inspiration is this one done by Joanna Colbert)...but our daughter had Marching Band Championships that weekend, the weather didn't cooperate and we had already planned for a Firefly party (yup, we're Browncoats!)...so there just wasn't time for the entire family to come together and prepare anything. We barely got our pumpkins carved on Halloween day! I did the the traditional one on the lower step...

In any case, I was musing about, feeling a little unsettled...couldn't resolve it until I hit upon the idea of just lighting all the candles and doing a Goddess Rosary (I can already tell after reciting it this one time, I'm going to tweak it for my own purposes!). Now I'm not praying for the restoration of Avalon...-No, I'm much more focused on the here and now... the needs of my immediate family and the mysterious desire for communion with our Sacred Dead. After I had done all that, I felt a sense of closure and was able to put it all away for next year.



PS. I'll be going to San Francisco in a week or so to visit an old college friend, so there'll be posts galore coming up!

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Browncoats are much nicer than brownshirts!

It would be nice is the new Prez would hold some of these bastards accountable for the damage they've done to capitalism instead of just giving them money. We shall see.

Have fun in the Bay Area. Get wacky, but not too crazy (wink)!

ladybug said...

Thanks snabby...I was also reminded by the mini-snab that I "dragged her 4 or 5 times" to see Johnny Depp in Chocolate. I had rembered watching it couple times, but not so many. But then again she was like 5 or 6 when it came out? She was probably bored...:P

Now one to my Keanu Reeves interview in Details magazine...

The Moody Minstrel said...

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" came out only three years ago.

Oh, were you talking about "Chocolat"? My bad. That one came out in 2000.

I haven't seen any of the other films you mentioned.

You're right about the Browncoats.

"Firefly"...one of the coolest SF shows I have yet to see.

Anonymous said...

Hyp, what a wonderful post.

BTW, you take beautiful pictures.

I'd love to see the kind of Fall season you've just described up in your part of the world.

Who knows, maybe someday...

:)